Tuesday, July 22, 2014

School visit and performances by students

Yesterday we visited a school outside of Chongqing. It was one of the best days we have had here if not the best. When we arrived we were greeted by the teachers of the school. They then led us to a courtyard where it seemed there were a hundred students eager to meet us. Quickly five students came up to me warmly and began to ask me questions of what I thought of China and what young people are like in the states. They then showed me around there campus. I asked them questions on what they enjoy. They love the same things my students love. Movies, music, basketball, soccer and ping pong. They love the movies Transformers and America Captain as they call it. The students value there education and take it very seriously. They look at the Gaokao as an opportunity to improve there life and there families. It was such a great opportunity to meet students and learn a little about there life. I was really impacted by this day thinking about how lucky I am to be on this trip experiencing the things I have. The people we have met along the way have been so hospitable and kind that it has moved me in a profound way. Once again another reason why I love traveling and experiencing other cultures. My travels have shaped me tremendously and for this I am forever grateful. 

In addition to meeting students we were also able to meet teachers from the school. I met an English teacher by the name of Milly. I told her that I was interested in establishing a relationship between her classroom and mine. She expressed interest as well so I am hopeful this comes to fruition. I would love to have my students have the opportunity to ask questions of Chinese students about there personal lives and there take of Chinese historical events and vice versa. 

We had lunch with the Chinese students and teachers. One of the students had the same type of glasses as me and I said he looked like my little brother. He laughed so hard and for the rest of lunch called me brother. He wants to be a doctor when he grows up and help people that are in need. The other student I talked a lot with wants to own a flower shop. His favorite song is Candles by Bruno Mars and Eminem. He started singing the song and had the song recited. I gave them my business card and told them that if they were ever in the US or needed anything to send me an email. Hopefully they stay in touch. 

After lunch we went to an elementary school. The students performed a play for us in English and did a fantastic job. It must have taken weeks of preparation and we all were blown away and impressed. Some of the students then introduced themselves and showed us some of there talents. Two of the students played there musical instruments. One did a magic trick, one did the face changing and another wrote beautiful calligraphy. Special kids!

After watching the drama performance we then went to a village and watched a traditional folk music performance. This ethnic group which escapes my mind has been performing this type of music since the Ming Dynasty. At first children played and then the village elders played. The men were really animated and loved playing for us. After the performance we were able to meet the children and the elders. One of the men was 89 and was so kind, a theme as you may have noticed. One of the kids was bold enough to come up to me and ask for her picture with. Next thing you know I was taking 15 pictures. I felt like Santa Claus. They were so cute coming up to the stage while laughing and giggling. Another awesome memory for I love kids!

After our musical performance we went to an actual legit farm surrounded by mountains and crops. We played ping pong and sang a couple songs of karaoke. We also made freshly made traditional soy milk which we drank for dinner. We had dinner at the farm with our Chinese teacher friends and talked about what a wonderful day we had. We said our goodbyes and it seemed as though the whole village came out to say there goodbyes. Pictures were taken and waves were earnestly flying as we left the farm. A day to remember forever as we settled into our bus and fell asleep after a long day. 





















No comments:

Post a Comment